47 EU vs 53 Aleutian Ownership Costs, other differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kipp4173

Hello,

Looking at similar year (2009-2011) GB 47 EU and 53 Aleutian. I was wondering if some of you could help me understand the differences in ownership costs between these two models. Also other differences are welcomed.

I understand the fuel burn of the Aleutian is about 30% more, at least above 12 knots. Some brokers have told me 'the Aleutian is much more expensive to own, maintain, and operate'. I am wondering if there is truth to this, aside from slip fees and fuel.

Appreciate any insight into understanding the differences between owning these two models. Is the Aleutian more of a 'passage maker' than the other?

To me, the main Aleutian differences are: raised pilothouse, 3 cabin layout, bigger engine compartment, utility room, factory hardtop (I know very few 47 EU were made with factory hardtop).

I'm just looking to understand the difference between these two models; if I am missing anything I would greatly appreciate some insight from you all!

Thanks,

Kipp

I went from a Uniflite 42 to an OA 54.

Fuel cost increase is pretty mild. What gets you is everything cost 50% more. Slip fees are more per foot and you have more feet. Haul out is more per foot and you have more feet. Bottom paint is by the square foot and you have 50% more bottom. Insurance costs more. You use bigger zincs, bigger cutless bearings.

Now accessories can cost more or not. With a bigger boat you have more room for more things like water makers.

Things like FW pumps, water heaters, toilets appliances don’t cost any more.

All this is assuming that both boats are in similar condition.

A guess of 30% as an increase sounds right but are we comparing apples to apples. I never had Airconditioning, water maker, washer&dryer, stabilizers and crane’s on the Uniflite.

I assume you are in CA? A key factor to consider is slip and mooring availability. Personally, I would not get a boat longer than 50 ft in SoCal for this reason alone. But, you may already know that and have a slip for it.

GB vs Fleming

We looked closely at a 2008 GB EU 47 and a Fleming 55. My total costs to own the Fleming were about 50% more than the GB. I had to ask myself, was I getting 50% more of the experience? Or did the GB cover 90% of what I wanted?

As you can tell by my pic, we went with the GB, and I’m super happy I did. It’s cheaper to own yes, but more so it’s easier to maintain, and operate. For instance, with the GB, I can easily single-hand it because I can reach over the side and tie up the midship cleat. With the Fleming, I could not have done that from the raised pilot hose and would need a hand

Don’t get me started on how much longer it would take to wash the Fleming….

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom