1985 Volvo TAMD 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_m40

I am looking at buying a 1985 trawler with twin Volvo TAMD 40 B after-cooled turbo diesel that have roughly 5500 hours. I have been told that I should run and I have also been told that on Volvo engine that's nothing to be concerned with as long as its been well maintained. I would love some insight by people that have some experience with this motor

Don't expect any kind of consensus. You will hear from some people who would rather row than have a Volvo engine, and others that love them. It is a very polarizing brand.

At 4500 hrs, my TMD40s were in great condition. I had some issues with the rubber boot that is on the Heat Exchangers, but by then had solved that issue. I didn't have the aftercoolers on those engines, but have them presently on TAMD41s.
If I was looking now at a pair of TAMD40s, at 5500 hrs, I would want to know that the HEs were rodded recently and the boot was properly seated. On mine, that was the cause of some overheating until I diagnosed and fixed those issues.
Others on this forum, in various parts of the US, have complaints about support from Volvo. Here, I had excellent service from my local Volvo Penta mechanic, but really, parts and service are needed so rarely, if you do your own oil changes, filters and HE servicing, I don't see how that could be a serious issue. If you don't have a mechanic you can trust and do nothing yourself, I doubt there is an engine of that age that would make you happy.
I had no trouble selling those 40s when I moved up to the 41s.

Welcome aboard. I am one of the ones that will not own another Volvo engine after owning a boat with them in the past. Parts took forever to get and those engines were brand new and on warranty. When it was off warranty the parts still took forever to get and were terribly expensive. No thanks for me.

maintenance is everything. doesn't matter what brand of engine. that said, volvo is typically more expensive to get parts for, and sometimes the wait time for parts can be long.
the aftercoolers need regular care, and the raw water system in my opinion could have been designed better. i hate all the o-ring/tubing connections.
get a very good mechanic to go over them with a critical eye.
the hours don't scare me, but if maintenance has been or became spotty i'd be leery.

We have owned our 1986 trawler with twin Volvo TMD40s for twenty two years, boating 12 months a year. The engines are great...made for DIY, although parts cost triple those of Cats or Cummins, if you can find them. Be aware Volvo has not one dedicated dealer in North America, it does not fit their business model.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom