12V panel- shower sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkehoe

Vessel Name
Garnak
Vessel Make
Mainship 47 M/Y
Wiring probem on my 12V panel. A Mainship 47 M/V. Would anyone have a 12V wiring diagram for the panel?
Recently the float switch went on the 2nd bilge pump from the bow. Owners manual shows 3, I have 4 bilge pumps. From the photo you can see power is daisy chained from the bottom breaker (auto) to the next bilge pump auto and finally to the fwd shower sump. Voltage into the first breaker is .31V. All bilge pumps will operate on manaul. On the other side of the panel, the line in is showing 13.3V to the aft shower sump.
I do not feel the bad float switch is effecting anything. Do you see misconnected wires? How do I determine why the line in for the fwd pumps is only showing .31V? Why do my pumps work on manual toggle if they are getting .31v?
Re photo, top breaker is 1st bilge and bottom is shower sump. Orange wire with stripe is power.

Attachments

• 20200418_170155.jpg
    20200418_170155.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OK, this might mean something. If we number from the bottom cable and start at #1 What is that red wire with a bare end near cable #2 ? Something not right there.

pete

I think you need to pull out all that crappy car wiring and redo it. Strain on many wires, spade terminals, bare wires. Voilà, your Covid project! Get Calder’s book, spend some money on a crimper and a roll of wire, get proper circuit breakers and do it better.

Just to be more annoying, shower sumps are a false convenience, they make your boat less boaty and more like your house, but sumps are a stinky toxic waste dump and a perfect showcase for how shitty Rule switches are.

"Just to be more annoying, shower sumps are a false convenience, they make your boat less boaty and more like your house, but sumps are a stinky toxic waste dump and a perfect showcase for how shitty Rule switches are."

Yup. Both my boats (Herreshoff 38 Cat Ketch & Halvorsen 32 GC) are "factory" with shower dump sumps. Slime factories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom